Thursday, July 2, 2015

A Love Poem (A Lantern to Outshine the Moon)

If I had half a dozen smiles like yours,
Trapped in a vase as lucid as your skin,
I'd make a lantern to outshine the moon,
And temples for your light to gather in.

Or if your gaze were trapped in iron doors,
Like tongues of flame against the winter's chill,
Then it would melt the hardest ice as soon
As it would thaw the hardness of my will.

But you have freedom through those lips of rose,
When pressed against my own which give release,
So do not let the stars be thus outshone,
But let my light in yours the more increase,

And with the fire that through my fingers flows,
Though I, in shadow, veil your deity,
Unbind my limbs who, frozen and alone,
Would bend my knees and worship ceaselessly.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! I'm no poet but what are the details about the form of this poem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading it! It consists of two octets (correct word?) in iambic pentameter with the scheme ABCBADCD. It gives it an a feeling of being interwoven while maintaining the feel of quatrains.

      Delete