Thursday, May 30, 2013

Smart people agree with me about the Boy Scouts....

A very intelligent canon lawyer Has written a post basically affirming my previous post....
http://canonlawblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/thoughts-for-catholics-impacted-by-the-boy-scouts-of-america-membership-policies/

I only disagree with one of his points, namely, that withdrawing sponsorship from a Boy Scout troop by a Catholic organization might not be a sign of unjust discrimination. I think it would, if such a decision were made institutionally or collectively by a group of parents or by a parish church  itself. However, it is of course up to individuals whether or not to participate in the Scouts, just as it always has been.

2 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only smart people, but many decent Catholics, I suspect. I've only two daughters, no son. Had I a son, however, I doubt very much I should have encouraged him to join Boy Scouts. I've never quite comprehended the need for this organisation, and remain suspicious of its influence, yet I can understand it providing something for some boys, especially fatherless youth. With respect to the Scouts' better-late-than-never decision to admit homosexual youth, I'm disgusted by the predictable ignorant ruckus created by the reactionary Catholic right and fetishistically exhibited ad nauseum on blog after blog. Consonant with their knuckledragger political views, they fume and spew the most despicable rhetoric. It is offensive to the Gospel, intemperate and immodest. Traditionalism is one thing, unaccountable hatred quite another. I appreciate your link to the canon law article above.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete